Out of India
Monday 31st July 2023 for 3 days — Cost: £156
Tutor: Polly Woolstone
This course has availabilityClick Here to Book Now
The Indian Subcontinent is a rich source of inspiration for both imagery and colour. Working from artefacts, textiles and imagery you will be encouraged to develop a personal response. All you need is a love of colour, an enthusiasm to experiment and a willingness to try something new. You may work towards an experimental sketchbook or a finished piece. Stitch (hand or machine) is an optional addition as your work progresses.
You will be introduced to a range of media including mark-making, printmaking, resist, rubbings, inks, paint, collage and a variety of different mixed media including paper and textiles at the beginning of the week before progressing to develop your own piece/s.
The course is very much about experimenting with new techniques as well as using your existing skills. I will bring in a wealth of textiles, wooden printing blocks and other items I have collected on my Indian travels as source material along with much of what is needed for the course.
Bring any source material you have, such as;
- Images from India – photocopies are good as they can be incorporated into your work
- old scarves or pieces of coloured fabrics or decorated papers
I will have a wealth of embroideries, fabrics, artefacts, photographs, books etc so don't worry if you don't have anything suitable.
In addition you will need;
- Plastic sheeting/ bin bag to cover the tables + apron or old shirt to cover you + latex gloves if you want to keep your hands clean
- Drop cloth - old towels, or sheet will do as to use as a base for printing
- J cloths, paper towels, wipes etc
- Scissors for fabric and paper
- Jars or plastic containers for water/inks etc
- Palette – a bun tray works well
- Anything you can use for mark making – small sticks, old bottle tops, toothbrush, card etc
- Black or Blue Quink ink
- Pritt stick / masking tape
- Notebook / sketchbook
- You may want to bring in a sewing machine or hand sewing equipment later in the week but this is not essential
If you have any of the following please bring but don't go to great expense as I will have plenty.
- a range of crayons/pens/wax crayons, white candles etc
- any inks/watercolour paints you already have – if buying - Koh-I-Noor - 24 disc watercolour dyes(approx £7.00) from Artvango are excellent value, quality and can be used on paper and fabric
- Assortment of sponges, brushes etc
- Rollers/ cutting board and craft knife and ink plate (an A4 sheet of Perspex works well)
- Range of papers and fabric you would like to print on – coloured tissue, hand made etc. cotton, calico, muslin, sheeting or something already coloured or printed on to print over
- Backing fabric such as muslin, bond-a-web, pins etc
- Beads and sequins. Metallic cards
I will bring all that you need to print with; blocks, screens, squeegees, inks etc along with a selection of cartridge and tissue papers and a small range of fabrics at a cost of £10.