Building up the surface - Creating a concertina sketchbook
Friday 4th August 2023 for 1 day — Cost: £52
Tutor: Polly Woolstone
This course has limited placesClick Here to Book Now
A one day course that explores techniques to build up the paper to create exciting surfaces and marks. You will be finding new ways to loosen up your work using drawing, printing, mark-making, collage and layering with tissue paper. You will be making your own concertina sketch books to experiment in.
During the day we will explore a range of techniques to create interesting surfaces including gesso, wax, ink, mono printing and rubbings onto tissue paper. These surfaces can then be drawn back into.
If possible collect:
- A bag of collage paper – old magazines, not pictures but big areas of colour or large lettering
- Things to take rubbings from ie corrugated card, textured wall paper
- Anything to use for mark-making such as small twigs, cocktail sticks
- Bring any source material relating to your chosen theme for reference. Landscape, gardens, allotments, buildings etc. Or just experiment without any theme and just enjoy the journey
In addition you will need:
- Any magazines with strong areas of colour or lettering
- Any old prints, rubbings, collage
- Plastic sheeting/ bin bag to cover the tables
- Apron or old shirt + latex gloves if you want to keep your hands clean
- J cloths, paper towels, wipes etc.
- Scissors for paper
- Plastic containers for water/inks etc.
- Range of brushes
- Drawing equipment – graphite pencil, felt pens (water soluble or permanent)
- Spray bottle (if you have one) you can recycle commercial cleaning bottles for this
- Crayons, wax crayons or candles etc.
- Anything that can used for mark making – small sticks, old bottle tops, toothbrush, card etc.
- Black ink – Indian/Quink and watercolour paints
- Masking tape
- Assortment of sponges, brushes etc.
Don’t go to any expense as I will bring some of the above to fill in the gaps.
I will also supply paper and card to make the sketchbooks and have a range of equipment, glues, printing media etc.
£5 per person